Veterans Resource Center

Welcome to the Millersville University Veteran’s Resources Page!

We are grateful for your service to our country and are ambitious
to bring you a comprehensive menu of resources to help you
succeed at Millersville University!

Millersville University is a 2017 Military Friendly SchoolWe are proud to serve you as a military-friendly institution! Below, you’ll find what you need to get started as a new student or transfer student, as well as how to manage your benefits, should you be called to duty, enroll in summer or winter courses, etc.

Ms. Yvonne DeBlois, Veterans Resource Center Administrator

Vice President’s office for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
PO Box 1002
Millersville PA 17551
Telephone: 717-871-7083
Fax: 717-871-7961

The Veterans Certifying Official in the Office of Financial Aid at Millersville University handles all paperwork for individuals applying for the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) educational benefits. This office is also your link to the DVA in cases of problems with educational benefit processing.

Ms. Giselle Fernandez, Certifying Official

Office of Financial Aid
PO Box 1002
Millersville PA 17551
Telephone: 717-871-5100
Fax: 717-871-7980

For advisement and registration assistance, contact Joseph Sciarretta, Advisement Coordinator. Mr. Sciarretta provides resources and support to assist Vets in adapting to the personal and academic transition to the University.  He specializes in discharge classifications that may directly affect learning needs that would be eligible for educational accommodations and academic strategies for success.

Advisement Coordinator
Office: Lyle Hall 262
Phone: 717-871-7609

VA Education Benefits Checklist

Veterans who did not use benefits previously 

1. Contact the VA to determine your eligibility at 1-888-442-4551. You may visit for benefit comparison information.

2. Apply for your educational benefits at  (Fastest method)

3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Basic Eligibility 

4. Mail or Email all documents to Giselle Fernandez

5.Register for classes.  Once registered, the VA Certifying Official will certify you based on your enrollment.  Please realize that your benefit amounts will be based on your enrollment, so if you are registered less than full-time, your benefits will be less.

***Paper applications for educational benefits are provided below for your convenience***

Dependent who did not use benefits previously

1. Complete VA Form 22-5490

2. Apply using veteran's file number. File number can be obtained by contacting the VA.  Use the veteran's social security number if you are a surviving dependent. 

Dependent who received transferred benefits

1. Complete VA Form 22-1990 E

2. Provide a copy of transferability paperwork from the DOD website at

3. Child applying for Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-5490

Previously used benefits at another school or in another training program

1. Veteran: VA Form 22-1995

2. Dependent: VA Form 22-5495

3. Dependent who received transferred benefits: VA Form 22-1995

4. Child receiving Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-1995

Important Notes:

  • If you receive benefits for CH 30, 1606 and 1607 you must verify your enrollment monthly on WAVE at  or by calling 1-877-823-2378
  • For Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607 your benefits are paid directly to you from the VA. You must make arrangements with Student Accounts to pay your bill by the due date.
  • Basic Housing Allowance from CH 33 Post 9/11 cannot be used upfront to cover room and board. Funds are paid directly to the student. 

Current Students

If you are a continuing student from the previous semester, our automatic processing system will identify you once you have registered for classes.

If you are continuing after a break of a semester or if you are changing your degree program, contact our VA Certifying Official at 717-871-5100.

VA Benefits For Summer & Winter

Certification for Summer Session or Winter Session enrollment is not done for students unless they request benefits to be paid.

Please contact the Certifying Official Giselle Fernandez at 717-871-5100 or at  if you would like to take classes during the summer or winter semester.

Please note: enrollment certifications are submitted after drop/add period for the winter and summer sessions only.

Military Leave of Absence

The Military Leave of Absence is specifically for students who are being deployed overseas or to assist in a national catastrophe. This does not include students enlisting in the military or going to basic training.

Students who are called to active duty must have:

  • a completed Military Leave of Absence Form (form available here)
  • a copy of their military deployment orders

Take those items to the registrar’s office in Lyle Hall, first floor, for assistance with arranging a leave of absence and their subsequent return to the University.

Students who expect to return to class within the current semester to complete their course work, or who are called to duty after completing a significant part of the course requirements, should contact their faculty regarding missed work. Students who cannot complete the current semester will be granted a leave of absence for military duty and will be allowed to return for the next semester without penalty.

Benefits Programs

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill ®

The Montgomery GI Bill ® (MGIB) - Active Duty, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans.  New students who are chapter 30 veterans, need to turn in a copy of their DD-214 (member 4) and along with a copy of a signed Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).  For more information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation is a program whose primary function is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities become suitably employed, maintain employment, or achieve independence in daily living.

The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach his or her rehabilitation goal.  These services include vocational and personal counseling, education and training, financial aid, job assistance, and, if needed, medical and dental treatment.  Services generally last up to 48 months, but they can be extended in certain instances.  For more information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Chapter 32 Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.  For more information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

Chapter 33 benefits are payable for training pursued on or after 8/1/09.  You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after 9/10/01 and are still on AD or were honorably

  • discharged from active duty; or
  • released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability list; or
  • released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corp Reserve; or
  • released from active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.

You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 contintuous days after September 10, 2001.

Chapter 35 Survivor's Benefits

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.  For more information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill ® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.  For more information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

You must verify your enrollment for each month to recieve payment for that month. You can submit your enrollment certifications via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program on by touch-tone telephone at 1-877-823-2378 (toll free). If your enrollment has changed during the month, you must verify your enrollment through the WAVE program.

Chapter 1607 (REAP) Reserve Educational Assistance Program

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.  This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 are either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.  For more information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Educational Assistance Program (EAP)

If you are in the PA National Guard, be sure to apply for your tuition benefits in April through your unit if you are eligible.  In some cases, EAP can reduce other sources of financial aid such as Federal SEOG and the Federal Stafford Loan.  Millersville University will pay the EAP funds to your student account once we have received your information on the roster  from the National Guard or once we have received a letter of eligibility from the National Guard.


Full time award- $3,746 OR tuition charged; whichever is LESS each semester

Part time award- $2,497 OR tuition charged; whichever is LESS each semester


Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

  • The FTA Program authorizes Tuition Assistance not to exceed 100% with a cap of $250 per semester hour and $4,500 for the fiscal year
  • Students can apply for FTA through their branch portal to get approval for use of these funds
  • Once approval has been recieved, send a copy of the approval letter to Certifying Official Giselle Fernandez

Important Phone Numbers and Websites

Government Phone Numbers and Websites

Phone Number

U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs Education Services


Vocational Rehabilitation


VA Monthly Enrollment Verification


Start, stop, or change Direct Deposit


U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
(home loans, disability, medical care, burial, life insurance)


VA Health Information

Military Websites


Air Force




Coast Guard






Other Important Contact Information


Life Insurance


Health Care Benefits


Gulf War/Agent Orange Help    




1-303-331-7804 (fax)
P.O. Box 65023
Denver, CO 80206-9023

Student Veteran's Association

The overall goals and intent of the organization is to provide a place for students and veterans to receive support and assistance in attending and successfully graduating from college. Further, we look to utilize the skills that our Veteran students have learned about how to adjust to changes in life and then pass that along to incoming and current students having a difficult time adjusting to civilian college life. The student veteran's organization will also be a source of support for families of soldiers who are currently or preparing for deployments related to military service.

The organization is free to join.  For more information on the Student Veteran's Association, see their webpage.