Federal Direct PLUS Loan Denial
This webpage is for parents of dependent undergraduate students who plan to apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan (parent loan) to be DENIED so the student may borrow more under the Direct Stafford Loan program.
If you are a parent who is applying for the Federal Direct PLUS loan and are hoping to be approved, please see the Federal Direct PLUS Loan section of our webpage for more information.
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is a loan in which parents can apply for to assist their dependent undergraduate student in paying for college. For parents who are denied (based on a credit check), the student may borrow either $4,000 or $5,000 in Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans once Millersville University has received a copy of the denial letter.
The parent of the dependent undergraduate student needs to apply online
In order to complete the application online follow these steps:Click on the above link
- Click on the green SIGN IN button (left side of screen)
- Sign in with your SSN, first two letters of your last name, DOB, and PIN (this is all parents' information) - you must have a PIN (the same one as you had for the FAFSA) - if you do not have a PIN, you can apply for one. If you do not remember the PIN, you can request it.
- Once you have that information and have signed in, select "Start PLUS Application Process" - select "Parent PLUS" and follow the instructions to complete the application.
- After the loan has been denied, Millersville University Office of Financial Aid will receive that information within 1-2 business days. At that time, the student will have an additional Unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan processed (up to $4000 for freshman and sophomore and $5000 for juniors and seniors).
- Please note: If the loan was approved, that means the parent passed the credit check.
- The student cannot receive the additional Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan money.
- The parent would need to borrow the loan in order for the student to obtain any additional funding.