After School Corps
The After School Corps, a recognized student organization at Millersville, is the product of a three-year AmeriCorps VISTA project, designed to fight poverty in America. Millersville University's Experiential Learning and Career Management (ELCM) was the host site of the AmeriCorps VISTA project from 2013-2016 in order to build and strengthen partnerships between the University, the School District of Lancaster, and community partner organizations. Millersville University students in the After School Corps, mentor, tutor and coach children in after-school programs to support the mission of alleviating poverty by increasing children’s academic achievement.
We seek students from all majors to work with children in any capacity they choose and create a schedule that fits your availability. Our community partners demonstrate a variety of tasks and opportunities to be fulfilled by Millersville volunteers. They include but are not limited to:
- Providing children tutoring and academic enrichment services
- Implementing recreational activities with children through sports, art, dance, creative writing/slam poetry, computer classes, chess, etc.
- Expanding their programming and allow them to engage student interests.
Please contact Volunteer Central at 717-871-7634 or email the Volunteer Central graduate assistant, Ronnie Mitchell at email@example.com for more details.
After-school programs provide a safe and fun environment to receive academic enrichment and engage in extracurricular activities. Millersville student volunteers provide important stability and support for youth. After-school programs require additional help to support student needs and increasing the number of tutors and mentors allows the program to run more effectively and increase their presence in the community.
Volunteers from Millersville University provide crucial academic skills to students that may receive little help otherwise. They reinforce skills learned throughout the day and add their wealth of knowledge to help students complete their homework.
Millersville University students have already made a positive impact in our community.
Throughout the duration of the AmeriCorps VISTA project from 2013-2016, over 430 school children received tutoring and mentoring services.
- 75% tested proficient and/or improved in core subject areas/PSSAs
- 63% showed increased academic engagement
Over 330 Millersville University students volunteered in the project.
- 302 provided direct service by tutoring, mentoring and instructing
- 28 provided indirect service by conducting evaluations, research and publicity campaigns
Millersville University students volunteered nearly 6,300 hours of service in 2013-2016.
Millersville University student volunteers enhanced their personal and professional goals and were highly satisfied with their volunteer experience (Post-Volunteer Survey, 2014.)
The After School Corps currently partners with:
- The Mix at Arbor Place – is a faith-based after-school program that gives homework help, tutoring, enrichment activities, recreational opportunities, and hot meals to children. Program operation times: Monday Open Tutoring: 3-5:30 PM; Tuesday-Thursday: 3:00-6:30 PM; Friday Open Gym: 3:00-5:00 PM; Saturday currently tentative but hoping to provide SAT Prep classes.
- Attollo Prep - a college access program dedicated to preparing children for a track to success and commitment to higher education outcomes for Lancaster City youth. The program operates Monday-Thursday from 3:30-7:30 PM.
- Manor Heights and Willow Run - focuses on providing tutoring and enrichment to students in the Penn Manor School District who live in these mixed-income housing communities. This new program provides the opportunity for Millersville student volunteers to implement extracurricular programs based on their interests. Tentative Hours/Days of Operation: 3:45-6:00 PM Monday-Thursday.